Cutting Didoes

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Oct 16 17:14:49 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

#doesn't have handy. I am also familiar with "cutting didoes" in a sense
#which I understand to mean "making fancy maneuvers"; but I can't remember
#where I first saw this; maybe in Heinlein? I would have pictured a
#carpenter cutting fancy curlicues, the sense then extended to a pilot
#making fancy loops. But I don't recall whether I ever really saw this
#etymology asserted (even if I did, it might not have any truth).

I thought of that too, but I'm pretty sure that's "dado".

-- Mark A. Mandel