valley talk

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Oct 17 16:51:01 UTC 2002

Not likely, though you're right--the article seems to imply a
connection.  The Hispanic English of the area (and northern California too)
has been studied by Carmen Fought and Norma Mendoza-Denton (in separate
publications).  Carmen notes some crossover influence from Valley Talk, but
Norma plays it down.  HispEng has its own distinctive features, but of
course they're not as widely known and are often just thought of, by the
public, as "learner English" even after several generations of U.S.
residence and native speaker acquisition of English.

Frank Zappa's daughter has apparently studied Valley Girl Talk (her
generation shaped it, after all), but I can't pull up a ref. off the top of
my head.  Other sociolinguists have too, of course.