FW: OED first edition

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Oct 18 18:56:16 UTC 2002

The reason for the "125 separate volumes" was that the early stuff was done
in fascicles, each amounting to several signatures at most, so like largish
magazines.  The fascicles were later assembled into true volumes and bound
as books.

The reviewer at Byte was apparently unaware of fascicles.

Frank Abate

At 02:43 PM 10/18/02 -0400, you wrote:
> From the review of the OED2 CD-ROM in the December 1993 _Byte_ magazine,
page
>49 column 2:
>
>"The Oxford English Dictionary, or OED, was first printed as 125 separate
>volumes, from 1884 to 1928."
>
>No wonder they decided to go to CD-ROM.
>
>      - Jim Landau

Is that true? - in my (well his) copy - the A volume is dated 1888 and the
V-Z 1928 and there's only 20 of them + a Supplement and Bibliography.

Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times