Sally Ann (Salvation Army, 1914-1918)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 21 18:10:18 UTC 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    Note 10 states that "Sally Ann" is an informal British term for "Salvation
> Army," and it's first cited in AMERICAN SPEECH (1927).
>    We can do better than that.  Can anyone check this on TIMES (London) full
> text?  Is that available yet?  The following was found on the web:

Yes, it is available, but currently only covers 1930-51.  And I don't
think the Times of London is likely to be a great source for slang
vocabulary.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,