Cevapcici (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 22 01:13:50 UTC 2002

   We discussed "cevapcici" just two months ago, in August.  I just found it by accident, and I'll post it before I drop sound asleep.
   From NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC MAGAZINE, June 1939, pg. 319, col. 2 (in an article about Yugoslovia):

   At native restaurants down on the bank of the Vardar one can order sheep's liver grilled on a skewer, or that delectable titbit of meat called _cevapcici_ (small round hamburgers), which the French officers during the war liked but couldn't pronounce.

(OED has only one hit, for "cevabcici" in 1959.  On Merriam-Webster online, there is no "cevapcici" hit; it asks you if you meant to type "speakeasy"--ed.)