Stent

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Oct 22 14:07:38 UTC 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Herbert Stahlke wrote:

#The practice of expanding a metal mesh tube in a coronary artery to treat
#angina began sometime in the late 80s or 90s, well after I had moved to this
#I/E merger region.  I've heard it called only a [stInt].  I hadn't seen the
#word in print till this past week when I was surprised to see it spelled
#<stent>.  However, I've heard cardiologists who are not from I/E merger
#areas say [stInt].  Is it pronounced [stEnt] outside of this part of Central
#Indiana?

Yup. That's the only pronunciation I've ever heard. (Massachusetts and
national radio.)

-- Mark A. Mandel