New form of a word?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 23 18:26:40 UTC 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Ed Keer wrote:

> I would think that it comes from flex-time. But I
> haven't heard it before.

I have often heard "flex" used as an intransitive verb meaning "work with
a flexible schedule."  Example: "Employees are allowed to flex in this
department."  I have not heard it used transitively as in "we are flexing
your day."

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro                             Editor
Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,
Yale Law School                             forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at     

More information about the Ads-l mailing list