nuclear/nucular

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Oct 25 16:59:26 UTC 2002

I don't quite follow this.  The motivation may be to break up a consonant
cluster (as other posted examples indicate), but the result in this
particular case is a metathesis.  I.e., it isn't *[rilt at r] > [ril at t@r] but
[ri at lt@r] > [ril at t@r].

PMc

--On Friday, October 25, 2002 9:19 AM -0400 "Dennis R. Preston"
<preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU> wrote:

> Nope, your respelling makes this look like "transposition" (which
> implies "metathesis" to us speakers of the arcane tongue), but that
> is not the motivation here at all. What you want to note is simply
> insertion (of a schwa) to break up the clumsy consonant-to-consonant
> transition (or "cluster") of l+t. IN fact, although it is slightly
> more complex, that is, after all, whjat is going on in the "nuclear"
> example as well (where k+l is the villain).
>
> dInIs
>

>> Another common transposition I frequently hear is "relator" for
>> "realtor".
>>
>> Bob

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR