Kaiseki (1972); Jerquee

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 27 20:57:30 UTC 2002

KAISEKI

   I just checked OED for "kaiseki."  No hits.  Yeesh!
   "Kaiseki" is not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999).  Google has about 13,300 hits!

KAISEKI RYORI SAIKO HOCHO
by Gyokuzan Hokyo
1805
(Earliest hit on OCLC WorldCat database.  In Japanese--ed.)

KAISEKI: ZEN TASTES IN JAPANESE COOKING
by Kaichi Tsuji
Kyoto: Kodansha International
1972
(Earliest English hit on the OCLC WorldCat database.  I'll have to look for it in a Japanese cooking book where it's not in the title--ed.)

9 May 1975, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 25 ad:
The Finest Restaurant In Japan
Is at the Waldorf
_Chef's Gourmet Kaiseki_ $22
Tsuki-dashi...
Zensai...
Soup of the day...
Sashimi...
Nimono...
Sunomono...
Tempura...
Yakimono...
Akadashi...
Dessert...
   INAGIKU
111 East 49th Street

25 April 1980, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. C14 ad:
Kaiseki: an exquisite experience that unfolds course by course with traditional grace and subtlety.
   MITSUKOSHI
465 Park Avenue at 57th Street

(There are 40 NEW YORK TIMES hits pre-1986, but 71 hits from 1986-1998.  C'mon, OED--ed.)

JERQUEE

   I don't know if this was in that ONION story about the motorist "amazed by the array of jerky choices."
   "Jerquee" is vegetarian "jerky."  See the web site at www.soybean.com.  It's on Google Groups since 1997.
   It doesn't appear to be generic beyond this one product, however.