Kringle (1936); Stromboli (1957); Tcheburek (1914); Fondue (1829)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 29 10:20:09 UTC 2002

KRINGLE

   DARE has a 1950 date for this Danish specialty, found mostly at Racine,
Wisconsin.  I had found one "kringle" citation in the 1800s (not American).
   As usual, the phonebook trick worked.  I looked under "Bakers."

   October 1936, RACINE CLASSIFIED TELEPHONE DIRECTORY, pg. 12, col. 1:
_UPTOWN BAKERY_
   The Place with the Kringels
   on the Window
If you want real Danish Pastry
this is the place to get it
   ALEX HENRIKSEN, Prop.
1338 Washingtonav...Jackson-7072
("Kringel"...The first of many ads by this bakery--ed.)

   May 1941, RACINE CLASSIFIED TELEPHONE DIRECTORY,  pg. 13, col. 1:
Lincoln Bakery
   Specializing in Danish Kringles
   1815 State...Jackson-5461

BISMARK, LONG JOHN

   July 1951, RACINE TELEPHONE DIRECTORY, pg. 16, col. 2 ad:
_DIXIE CREAM DONUTS_
CHOCOLATE-COCOANUT
POWDERED-PLAIN
   Also
LONG JOHNS-BISMARKS
CRUELLERS-CINNAMON BUNS
CALL 2-3757
220 MAIN ST.

STROMBOLI

   Supposedly from Philadelphia, and I'll have to re-check that.  This is a
little earlier than I'[d just posted from Cincinnati.

   1957, THE CINCINNATI AND SUBURBAN BELL TELEPHONE COMPANY, pg. 591, col. 1
ad:
_PASQUALE'S_
(...)
STROMBOLI STEAK SANDWICHES
(Many locations--ed.)

TCHEBUREK

RUSSIA
WITH TEHERAN, PORT ARTHUR, AND PEKING
HANDBOOK FOR TRAVELLERS
by Karl Baedeker
Lepizig: Karl Baedeker
1914

   I wanted to get the ITALY (1895) to see if "cappuccino" is there, but of
course, it was not on the Library of Congress shelf.  I spotted this Baedeker
I don't think I looked at before.  It covers a huge amount of ground (Russia,
Finland, Ukraine, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, and China).
Unfortunately, there is no descriptive food section like for ITALY.

Pg. 202 (FINLAND):  "Knackebrod" is bread in thin, hard, round slices.

Pg. 405 (THE CRIMEA):  Among the Tartar national dishes may be mentioned
tcheburek (a kind of meat-pie), and shashluik (mutton roasted on a spit).

Pg. 466 (TIFLIS, GEORGIA):  Among the national dishes are the following:
shashliuk (p. 405), basturma (beef roasted on the spit), tchikhirtma (soup
with mutton or fowl, saffron, and other spices), loko (boiled fish from the
Kura), and plov (the Turkish pilau).

FONDUE

VEGETABLE COOKERY, WITH AN INTRODUCTION RECOMMENDING ABSTINENCE FROM ANIMAL
FOOD & INTOXICATING LIQUORS
3d ed.
London: Sold by H. Phillips
1829

   This book was in the Library of Congress's Rare Book Room.  I didn't find
"vegetarian" here, but perhaps someone can use the "fondue."  (See archives
for other "fondues" of this period--ed.)

Pg. 74:
   _287.  Fondue._
   Take a half a pound of good grated cheese, the crumb of a roll steeped in
hot milk, a piece of butter the size of a walnut, the yolks of three eggs
well beaten, mix all together very well, then add the whites, beaten to a
froth, immediately before you put it in the oven.  Bake it in a quick oven;
it has the appearance of a pudding, and is excellent.