Cooking School (1874, 1865); Brownies (1894); Chicken a la Maryland (1894)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 29 16:28:10 UTC 2002

   I've been going through the Sunday "Affairs of the Household" column in
the NEW YORK EVENING POST.  I'm looking for "brownies" and "club sandwiches"
and "fudge" and a little more.
   I suggested that it be passed along to Rupert Murdoch that he digitize the
entire NEW YORK POST and TIMES of London and make them available to scholars,
but no one listens to me.

COOKING SCHOOL

   OED has no entry for "cooking school"?

   10 November 1894, NEW YORK EVENING POST, pg. 20, col. 5:
   To Miss Juliet Corson of this city belongsthe honor of having established
the first cooking-school in the United States, and of originating the idea of
instructing women in domestic affairs in general.  It was in 1874 that Miss
Corson began her work, and in 1875 the idea was taken up in the West, where a
Miss Allen organized a school of household science in the Industrial
University at Champaign, Ill.  In 1877 similar work was begun in the Kansas
State Agricultural College.  Other beginnings in the East and West having the
same aims in view were the establishment of a course of teaching in
scientific cooking in Lasell Seminary in 1877, under the tuition of Miss
Parloa; the opening of a cooking-school in Boston in 1879, and of one in
Chicago in 1881.  The Chicago school soon became very popular, and its
instructor, Mrs. Emma P. Ewing, one of the most able and interesting teachers
of cooking in the country, was invited in 1882 to establish a summer
cooking-school at Chautauqua.  Later, Mrs. Ewing established a "School of
Domestic Economy" in Iowa Agricultural College.

   7 April 1965, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
The "Academy" (Prof. Bolot's "Cooking Academy"--ed.) comprises the second
floor of the building No. 90 Fourth avenue. (...)
   The Professor is a political refugee, and when he came here ten years ago,
saw the necessity of a cooking school, but, being unable to speak English,
could not carry on his idea until the present time.

BROWNIES

   Still looking, but this, in the food/domestic affairs column, perhaps
shows that they didn't exist in 1894.

   14 July 1894, NEW YORK EVENING POST, pg. 18, col. 6:
   One meets a new "brownie" at every turn.  One of the first to produce Mr.
Palmer Cox's funny little creatures in visible form was the woman who made
the brownie dolls, soon so popular at the Woman's Exchange.  Then the fairy
folks were graven in silver and gold and, handsomely enameled, sold for
cotillion favors and tennis prizes.  Now some one in the name of art has
produced them life-size, and they are used to ornament the grounds of a
beautiful estate in a well-known suburb.

CHICKEN A LA MARYLAND

   The revised OED has 1896, from the BOSTON COOKING SCHOOL COOK BOOK.
   I have several "Chicken a la Maryland" in my files (1880s?)--it was a very
popular dish--but in the meantime...

   12 May 1894, NEW YORK EVENING POST, pg. 20, col. 6:
   Baked chicken with a sauce a la Maryland is delicious for a luncheon or a
course at a spring dinner.  The chicken should be cleaned, wiped with a damp
cloth, cut into portions, rolled in beaten egg, and then in fine dry bread
crumbs.  Bake in a deep dish or pan that has been well buttered, until a rich
brown and tender.  To prevent the meat from drying, baste occasionally with
melted butter.