Fifth Column (re Ali and rap)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Oct 30 16:21:09 UTC 2002

> Anyway, Ali's doggerel pre-dates rap by quite a few years.
> In fact, I do not recall hearing at any time that Ali was
> ever associated with rap.  By the time rap made it onto
> the American scene (early 80s or so), Ali was actually
> already losing his ability to speak.

Actually, rap has its origins in the mid-to-late 70s. Rap DJs began playing
dance parties around 1974-75 and started gaining local notoriety. The first
big commercial rap success was the 1979 album "Rapper's Delight" by the
Sugar Hill Gang. But I don't think this changes the basic point; I've never
heard anyone associate Ali with rap either.