Terrapins a la Maryland

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 31 00:43:08 UTC 2002

At 11:31 PM -0500 10/29/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>CHICKENS/TERRAPINS A LA MARYLAND
>
>    A NEW YORK TIMES check shows "Terrapins a la Maryland" on 21 July
>1884, pg. 5.  "Chicken a la Maryland" is in the early 1900s.  I can
>check my TABLE TALK and AMERICAN COOKERY issues, but maybe later.

This does open up a great idea for a theme cookbook with somewhat
fewer than 50 recipes, including those for...

Wildcat a la Arizona
Razorbacks a la Arkansas
Golden bears a la California
Buffalo a la Colorado
Blue hens a la Delaware
Gators a la Florida
Jayhawks a la Kansas
Wildcat a la Kentucky (different preparation from first entry)
Terrapins a la Maryland
Wolverine a la Michigan
Tiger a la Missouri
Duck a l'Oregon
Ram a la Rhode Island
Longhorn a la Texas
Badger a la Wisconsin

Only some of these species are endangered, and I've omitted the
entries for bulldogs and huskies (as well as those for mountaineers,
cowboys, cavaliers, minutemen, hoosiers, etc.) to spare sensibilities.

larry