Fifth Column (re Ali and rap)

Thu Oct 31 16:59:18 UTC 2002

Herb Stahlke notes "Thomas Kochman edited a collection in 1972 titled Rappin' and Stylin' Out."

The following was published the preceeding year:
Stanford, Gene, ed.   Generation rap; an athology [sic] about youth and the establishment. Edited, with an introduction by Gene Stanford. [New York, Dell Pub. Co., 1971]   176 p. 18 cm. (Laurel leaf library.)   I cut this title out of the Bobst catalog and suspect that the error in the title was done here, not by the publisher.

I do not remember when H. Rap Brown became prominent, but it was no doubt a year or two before.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.