Night before Halloween

DAK buchmann at BELLSOUTH.NET
Thu Oct 31 20:06:31 UTC 2002

The day before a Christian feast day became the
"eve" ( originally the evening before ) of that day,
hence "Christmas Eve." In this case, "All Hallows
Eve," "All Hallows" is better known now as "All
Saints Day."  "All Saints Day" is followed by "All
Souls Day," which is better known in Mexico  ( and,
increasingly, in the U.S.) as El Dia ( looks odd
without the accent ) de los Muertos.  [ For a
similar concept, but different season, see
"Walpurgisnacht."]