Sultan of Swat (1920); Spit Ball (1905); Screw Ball (1926)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 1 22:00:42 UTC 2002

   Some baseball stuff that I tried to copy yesterday.  From NEW YORK TIMES full text.

SULTAN OF SWAT

"We are the Sultans of Swing."
--Dire Straits, also some chess players back in 1978

   Paul Dickson's BASEBALL DICTIONARY gives no date for this nickname of Babe Ruth.

   28 June 1920, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 18:
   While the Sultan of Swat had been dormant in the early innings, his brother Yanks were the same.

SPIT BALL (SPITBALL)

   Paul Dickson gives a Peter Tamony citation from 13 May 1905.  That's close.

   26 January 1905, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   The foul strike rule is likely to remain, and there will be no attempt to handicap the spit ball pitcher.

   7 February 1905, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 7:
   In speaking of the spitball Mr. Pullian says it is simply a freak in pitching and is much overrated.

SCREW BALL (SCREWBALL)

   Paul Dickson has 7 October 1928.

   9 October 1926, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 1:
   He (Grover Cleveland Alexander--ed.) defied the Yanks to molest his fast ball, his screwball, his perfect control.

THE BIG SHOW

   Paul Dickson gives no date for "the big show," meaning the major leagues.  It was used in the baseball movie BULL DURHAM.

   8 April 1910, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 10:
   ...most of whom are sure to go back to the minors and get a few seasons more baseball knowledge before they join the big show.

OUT BY A MILE

   Paul Dickson gives no date.

   3 October 1926, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 51:
   When he finally made up his mind and hastened to third, he was out by a mile as he slid in on his chest and got his uniform all dirty.

AMAZIN' METS; MIRACLE METS

   2 May 1962, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 41:
   "The amazing Mets are in an amazing slump," Stengel said.

   17 October 1969, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 60:
   ..."Miracle Mets"...

(I POSTED EARLIER CITES!  I GET TO KEEP THE MONEY!!--ed.)