Hoagy & Grinder (1950); Sno Cone (1947)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 2 01:06:38 UTC 2002

   Two more food terms against NEW YORK TIMES full text.

HOAGY & GRINDER

   Both of these are in "News of Food" by Jane Nickerson.  I had posted an earlier "hoagy" and an earlier "grinder," so you do not get your money back.  Notice that the 1950 articles do not yet mention "hero."

   31 July 1950, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 20:
   _Foot-Long Grinder_...
   Mr. Girard...met the "grinder" when a junior engineer in the Connecticut State Highway Department.

   2 September 1950, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 23:
   _From the Reader Mail:_  "Recently, while I was in Philadelphia," writes Robert B. Byrnes of Baltimore, "I noticed signs in many of the restaurants, taverns and sandwich shops proclaiming the excellence of 'Hoagies,' 'Hoggies,' 'Hogies,' and 'Horgys,' almost every sign being differenlt spelled.  Investigating for myself I learned that here was again the type of Italian sandwich you spoke of as the 'grinder.'"
   The "grinder" as mentioned here in July, is that mammoth construction of a hoizontally cut loaf of Italian bread with a filling of meat, cheese, olive oil, tomatoes, etc.  Besides being called a hoagy and variations thereof, it also is known as a submarine sandwich and, Mr. Byrnes notes, in certain parts of the country, as a poor-boy sandwich.

SNO CONE

   I remember "sno cones" all over New York City, so I thought that the NEW YORK TIMES would have an early cite.

   21 July 1958, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 19:
   Brunks' versatile actors perform a different play six times a week, sing, dance, play musical instruments, sell candy, popcorn and "snow cones."

   18 October 1960, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 37:
   He conducts his own industrial enterprise, the manufacture of a terrible substitute for ice cream called Sno Cone.
(From a review of the book GOOD BYE, AVA by Richard Bissel--ed.)

   20 August 1962, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 23:
   For the Iowa teenagers, to whom such a luncheon may be boring, there were gaudily decorated stands along the way with "foot-long" hot dogs, lemonade, cotton candy and "snow-cones"--shaved ice with fruit syrups.
(The article is about state fairs--ed.)

U.S. PATENT & TRADEMARK OFFICE
   SNO-KONE
   Hand-held ice shavers, machines for making ice confections
   First use: 15 March 1947
Gold Medal Products
Cincinnati, Ohio