DUCK POOP and the like

Mon Sep 2 14:14:10 UTC 2002

In a message dated 9/2/02 8:51:39 AM, TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG writes:

<< I put an origin
forward as a possible etymology for consideration by members of the
list, not as one that should be taken as correct by anyone without
confirmatory evidence. If list contributors think it was a careless
etymology, it would be nice to have some considered arguments as to
why rather than sarcastic comments. >>

Sorry if my satire was offensive. It seems to me that DUCK POOP & DUST SOUP
are just as likely as DUCK SHOOT--more so, in fact, given that dust and duck
shit are more prevalent than people who find duck-hunting easy.

Though my purposes were indeed satirical, I, too, would be happy if my
suggestions--which I gave a good deal of thought to--were found to be
"correct by anyone with ... confirmatory evidence." I don't think that DUCK
SHOOT is a "careless" etymology, only a ridiculous one, but I could be wrong.
I could be wrong also about DUCK POOP, DUST SOUP, MUCK SLOOP, or a whole
range of sing-alongs.