Barbecue(d) Spaghetti; Broast(er)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Sep 3 03:42:19 UTC 2002

BARBECUE(D) SPAGHETTI

   I looked up "Mr. Brown Goes to Town" on Google.  A food web site mentions
that "barbecued spaghetti" or "barbecue spaghetti" is also considered a local
dish of Memphis, TN.  The food term is not in DARE or in John Mariani's
ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK.  I don't think I saw it in ROADFOOD.
   "Barbecued spaghetti" is pasta mixed with spicy barbecue sauce and bits of
smoked pork.
   I gotta do original research on everything...

BROAST(ER)

   Broaster Co. of Beloit, Wisconsin (also of Illinois) trademarked
"Broaster" ("deep fat cooker") with a first use of 4 February 1955.
"Broast-aire" ("food seasoning of a spicy nature") was tradmarked with a
first use 24 July 1961.  "Broaster Chicken" was trademarked with a first use
of January 1993.
   There are 5.020 Google hits for "broasted" and 1.670 Google hits for
"broaster."
   The following post from Google Groups is interesting.  The chicken is
popular in Bangladesh!

From: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=author:jfladeroute%40home.com+">Jackie Laderoute</A> (<A HREF="mailto:jfladeroute%40home.com">jfladeroute at home.com</A>)
Subject: Re: It's a dessert topping *and* a UL!
Newsgroups: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.folklore.urban">alt.folklore.urban</A>
View: <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=021lbt4f5i3t1184eoara96eac3lpd6r97%40news.rdc2.tx.home.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dbroast%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D021lbt4f5i3t1184eoara96eac3lpd6r97%2540news.rdc2.tx.home.com%26rnum%3D1">Complete Thread (124 articles)</A> | <A HREF="http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=021lbt4f5i3t1184eoara96eac3lpd6r97%40news.rdc2.tx.home.com&output=gplain">Original Format</A>
Date: 2001-03-22 16:31:04 PST

On 22 Mar 2001 19:45:27 GMT, mccafferta at aol.comment (McCaffertA) wrote:>In
article <99dd18$59h$1 at home.eCynic.com>, drew at furrfu.com (Drew Lawson)>writes:>
>>I knew that someday I'd get sucked into one of the food threads . . .>>What
is this "broast" that you speak of?  I've heard the word used>>before, but
dictionary.com refuses to tell me what it means.>>    A portmanteau word of
"bake" and "roast"; either very low-temperature>roasting, or very high-temp
single-direction baking, however you prefer to look>at it.Hmmm.  I've heard
several explanations of this term -one is yours, which seems to describe two
disparate methods of cooking.Another is that it is an almagam of broil and
roast, which would fitwith your "single-direction" description.Yet another is
a reference to a process combining deep-frying withpressure-cooking -
""Broasting is a registered process that buildspressure in the pot which
seals in the natural juices while sealing outalmost 100% of the cookingoil.
The Broaster Co. perfected the first Broaster in 1952."  (from<A HREF="http://www.taquitos.net/yum/broast.shtml">
http://www.taquitos.net/yum/broast.shtml</A>). They are still marketed today- see
<A HREF="http://www.pressurefryers.com/1800/1800e.htm">http://www.pressurefryers.com/1800/1800e.htm</A>.Searching on "broaster" yields <A HREF="http://www.broaster.com/">
http://www.broaster.com/</A> - yup, theBroaster Company. They seem to have
changed their main focus from theequipment to chicken itself - they explain
"It starts with qualitychicken,carefully marinated and coated with specially
formulatedBroaster® ingredients. Then, as each order is received, the chicken
isplaced inside the Broaster® pressure fryer, designed to cook eachindividual
piece of chicken "under pressure" in the chicken's ownnatural juices,
limiting the absorption of cooking oil and driving themarinade deep down to
the bone while searing the chicken with agolden,crispy-crunchy coating."
Sounds suspiciously like the KFC method... and indeed,<A HREF="http://outreach.missouri.edu/hesnutrnews/fnr88-12.htm">
http://outreach.missouri.edu/hesnutrnews/fnr88-12.htm</A> gives us:"Broasting =
Pressure FryingThere's a funny story behind this headline.  We received a
callfrom Diana in Perry County; her client needed to know how to"broast" a
chicken.  It seems she was preparing dinner for aDoctor and he requested
"broasted" chicken.  We can only assumethat she didn't want to admit not
knowing how to do this, so shecalled her county extension office.We called
restaurant supply dealer, Don Corwin, here in Columbia.He explained that
"Bro-Co" is the name of the original broastingdevice.  It's a deep-fat
pressure fryer with a tight-fitting lidand a foot pedal, which when pumped
introduces steam from waterwhich is housed in a glass jar outside the device.
 Food preparedin such a manner is supposedly super-moist.Who do you think was
one of the first institutions to use "Bro-Co"?  Kentucky Fried Chicken.  In
fact, their "original recipe"chicken is "broasted".  The extra crispy recipe
is deep fat friedin the more traditional manner.Now for the funny part.
Barbara Willenberg suggested servingthis "Doctor" a bucket of Kentucky Fried
Chicken!  After all, hewanted "broasted" chicken.  Don't you think he'd be
impressed?!" But there is more to the "broasting" story - A fast-food place
in Dhaka,Bangladesh serves broast chicken, which seems to fit with the
definitionabove - "Chicken broast is deep fried chicken which is very crispy
andtasty to eat." <A HREF="http://www.bangladeshinfo.com/food/food_fast_food.php3">http://www.bangladeshinfo.com/food/food_fast_food.php3</A>
(Actually, there are quite a few web references to Pakistani, Indian
andBangladeshi restaurants specializing in broasted foods, so it may be
acultural favourite - there seems to be a variety of premixed
"broastingspices".).Perhaps not surprisingly, the dictionary at<A HREF="http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/home">
http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/home</A> (a favourite of
mine)neglects the technique altogether.  Jackie "never dried out a roast"
Laderoute--< o \"/  Don't play cat and mouse with me!
Jackie Laderoute              jfladeroute at home.com