"weird" as a verb

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Sep 3 15:45:10 UTC 2002

'Space out' is now often just 'space' (I totally spaced).
'Freak out' is now often just 'freak'. Here I have a transitivity difference.
With the particle, i can use it transitively (He freaked me out) or
intransitively (I freaked out). But alone, only intransitive works (I just

Mark A Mandel wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2002, Douglas Bigham wrote:
> #Just wondering.... Is anyone looking for citations for "weird" as a verb
> #meaning something like "to confuse or bother"?
> #It's something that I've been hearing and using for a while now (like, 7
> #years at least), and I know it's not localized (people on Mtv use it all the
> #time).
> I've heard it for years, but originally as "weird out" ("That really
> weirds me out"). The loss of the particle is in line with a trend:
>         hang out 'spend time' (with PERSON, at PLACE)
>          -> hang
>         ...
> Oh damn, I've mentally misplaced the other examples that I've noticed,
> but I know there are at least several. Help!
> -- Mark A. Mandel

More information about the Ads-l mailing list