More About Numbers on Clothing

Fri Sep 6 15:50:57 UTC 2002

This is related to the 88-Heil Hitler-Target story. One of my clients
is a children's clothing design firm. On the wall of one of the
designers is the following memo, written by a brand manager for
Wal-Mart, which is one of their clients.

"Here is a list of numbers which legal has approved for our use:

63 But do NOT use in conjunction with route or highway type language
79 OK
92 OK
00 OK
27 OK
07 OK
89 OK
84 OK
85 OK
45 OK except when used with a P

We are currently working on additional numbers, but at least this is a
start. If you have any questions, please let me know."

(end memo)

While I would have better results talking to a lawyer about this
(Frank? Barry?) one of the designers told me that a primary concern
when avoiding numbers on clothing is sports-related. Avoiding 23, for
example, is paramount because of its strong assocation with Michael
Jordan and the Bulls. And so on.

I should add that the designer had a slight panic when I told him about
the 88-Target news, because he believed they had just shipped a load of
children's designs with 88 and the American flag. He was mistaken,
however, as the actual number used was 89.

--
Grant Barrett
gbarrett at worldnewyork.org
Small Business Apple Macintosh Support in New York City
http://www.worldnewyork.org/