one more response

Mon Sep 9 15:27:56 UTC 2002

In a message dated 9/9/02 10:56:17 AM, JMB at STRADLEY.COM writes:

<< Most people seem to find it easier to read lower case text, which may
account for its popularity over the past 12 centuries or so.  >>

The "popularity" surely has mostly to do with the fact that it allows marked
and unmarked versions of the text, so that we can, e.g., more easily pick out
the beginning of sentences, or proper names (or nouns in German). As for ease
of reading, I suppose it must be the case that things are easier to read if
written in a system that is what we are used to, as opposed to what we are
not used to. The idea that "most people seem to find it easier to read lower
case text" is just unsubstantiated opinion without some kind of empirical
evidence.