automobile / motorcar

Tue Sep 10 13:55:30 UTC 2002

My family ran a "tourist court" from the late 40's
through the late 70's ... it was a motel, although
primitive by modern standards.  Definitely not a
bed-and-breakfast.  It was off the street and centered
around the main access drive or road ... maybe this is
where the "court" came from.

--- "James A. Landau" <JJJRLandau at AOL.COM> wrote:
> On  9/7/02 at 10:54:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time
> buchmann at bellsouth.net WROTE:
> >tourist court
>
> To me a "motel" is a one-story  (or at most
> two-story) building in which each
> guest room has an outside door which leads to the
> parking lot.

> A "tourist court" is a bed-and-breakfast.

>      - Jim Landau
>
> P.S. at the cast party following a recent
> performance of "Fiddle on the
> Roof", it was announced what happened to the various
> characters after they
> were exiled from Anatevka.
>
> Lazar Wolf used his expertise to go into the meat
> business, eventually
> starting a restaurant that became the "Wolfie's"
> chain.  Mottel Kamzoil
> opened a tailor shop in New Jersey, but he
> discovered that most of the people
> coming into his shop didn't need tailoring but
> rather wanted directions to
> someplace to stay for the night.  So at the
> suggestion of his sister-in-law
> Hottel, he started renting out rooms.  His
> sign-painter however goofed and
> instead of saying "Mottel's Inn" the sign read
"Motel".

=====