Catsup etc. (was: Re: Carbonated beverages)

Peter Richardson prichard at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Sep 10 15:42:58 UTC 2002

Mike Salovesh noted in a BTW to his note to Peter's catsup inquiry:

> Before anybody asks, I also wrote "weiner" on purpose as another example
> of "heathen non-Chicagoan", with a tip of my hat to Barry's
> prescriptivism regarding "wiener".

>From time to time there's a sign posted by a farm near us advertising
"wiener pigs." I guess it's clear in the mind of the signer that the pigs
are supposed to be turned into sausages, not necessarily weaned and sold
for fattening. Or maybe they just grunt in Austro-Bavarian.

PR