automobile / motorcar

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Sep 10 15:52:56 UTC 2002

Priceless!!!

Except I remember the exterior walls as that high-relief stucco with a
thick coat of semigloss green or beige paint.  I assume they were built in
the 1930s--I'm barely old enough to have stayed in some on family road
trips when I was a kid.  If any survive today, they probably have signs
advertising x-rated videos and hourly rates.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, September 9, 2002 3:06 PM -0700 Peter Richardson
<prichard at linfield.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, James A. Landau wrote:
>>
>> A "tourist court" is a bed-and-breakfast.
>
> Tourist court: individual units with fake brick tarpaper/asphalt siding,
> usually a little cedar tree/bush in front, painted white or red step, one
> room with a metal bedstead and a squishy mattress, a chrome chair and
> table, ashtray with some sort of catchy saying (e.g. "rest your tired
> ash"), and a bathing niche with a sink showing deep brown stains on the
> porcelain below the two faucets. No TV, of course. Units are connected by
> carports not wide enough or long enough for today's cars. Maybe a teardrop
> trailer or two sticking out from carports. Name is Bide-a-Wee, Traveler's
> Rest, Lazy Pines, etc. The road out front might or might not be paved, and
> --if in Iowa or Minnesota--the edges of the pavement might flare up to
> contain traffic, making it shoot off into the oncoming lane instead of
> careening out into a corn field.
>
> B&B? Not exactly...
>
> Peter Richardson

                               Peter A. McGraw