ease of comprehension-relevant?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 10 21:19:52 UTC 2002

At 3:16 PM -0400 9/10/02, Scott Sadowsky wrote:

>Hmmm.... I thought it was common knowledge that the ascenders, descenders,
>and varying letter heights of lowercase letters greatly facilitate their
>recognition by readers.

Well, if anyone takes one of two previously unfamiliar and
stylistically similar texts on their computer, selects the whole
document, and does a "change case" (within the Format menu on my word
processor, MSW Word for Mac, but I'm sure Windows has something
comparable) to upper case, and reads both documents, it should be a
relatively straightforward do-it-yourself study (not for how it all
got started or for what we should do about SHOUTING, but just about
which is easier to read, all-caps or mixed).

larry