Phonics Claimd To Be Pushed By Feds

Peter Farruggio pfarr at UCLINK4.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Sep 11 00:38:57 UTC 2002

For example, check out this Jan 28, 2002 article in The Nation
magazine.  It explains the ideological affinity of conservatives for
phonics and standardized testing, as well as the big money to be made (and
being made) by the politically connected Ed publishing companies (on
mandated tests and phonics texts), as well as the generations-long social
connections between the Bushes and McGraws (of McGraw-Hill Inc)

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020128&s=metcalf

Pete Farruggio