SHOUTING: the lost episodes

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU
Wed Sep 11 20:32:34 UTC 2002

thanks to michael quinion, the lost postings can be restored:

From:                   Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu>
Date sent:              Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:53:07 -0700 (PDT)
To:                     TheEditor at worldwidewords.org
Subject:                Re: SHOUTING; emphasis?

michael quinion:
 >All-caps messages are harder to read than a mixture of caps and
 >lower-case...

i'm not saying that this claim is wrong, but it is certainly not
proven.  i have no doubt that there are experiments showing that
readers read all-caps text (somewhat) more slowly than mixed-case
text, rate it as more tiring to read, etc.  but the subjects for
such experiments are biased by experience; most of what they have
read in their lives will have been mixed-case text, so they are
merely judging as easier what they're most accustomed to, scarcely
a surprising result.

 >...and they do seem to jump out of the page at you in an
 >aggressive way.

this is quite clearly the result of experience.  undoubtedly
*important* experience for people who are writing; you want to
gauge the way your audience will respond to what you've written.

i'm agnostic about the claim in its universal form, however.  i'm
similiarly agnostic about the claim that serif fonts are easier to
read than sans serif fonts, and for similar reasons.  these claims
might or might not be true, but much of the effect is sufficiently
explained by the generalization that the more familiar is easier
to process than the less familiar.

another example, from my own life...

i learned to read music - that is, to sing from musical notation on a
printed page - in a scheme where the location of notes is indicated by
the location of ovals with respect to horizontal lines.  the shape of
the note head is meaningless; only its spatial location is
significant.  this is the only sort of music that most of you will
have seen, so you'll take the "round-note" notation for granted;
processing of the familiar ovals is automatic.

in 1989 i began singing in a "shape-note" tradition (there are
several such traditions), specifically Sacred Harp singing, where
there are *four* shapes for note heads: triangle, oval, rectangle,
diamond.  the different shapes indicate relative pitch, with respect
to the tonic note of the scale.  the shapes have names - fa, sol,
la, mi, respectively - so that our tradition is sometimes called
"fasola singing", for the names of the first three notes of the
major scale.

before a group begins singing the words of a song, they normally
"sing the shapes", that is, sing the melody using the names of the
shapes only.  this is a way to familiarize yourself with the melody
(the words might be distant on the page from your line), and the
shapes provide useful information about the intervals between notes.
so the shapes make it "easy" to read the music.

but only if you've automatized the system.  in the beginning the
shapes are difficult and disorienting.  we give new singers a cheat
sheet, encourage them to sing la-la-la if they feel lost, and we try
to put them between strong experienced singers who will carry them
along.  nevertheless, at first the burden of reading shapes is heavy.
even if you're just singing la-la-la, all that extra visual
information on the page, where there ought to be just ovals, is
distracting.

then you become proficient, and the shapes are really really helpful.
marvelously useful redundancy.

and *then*, if you don't do a lot of singing from ordinary notation
and are confronted with some of it again (in a hymnal, say), all those
ovals are really really hard to process.  everything is sol; how can
that be?  you have to train yourself to use vertical distance alone to
judge intervals, to pay attention to tiny details of the notation.  if
you're an experienced shape-note singer, the shapes are the primary
processing cue, and the vertical location with respect to the lines
is a subsidiary cue, much of it redundant.

i now find "round-note" music surprisingly difficult and awkward to
sing from.  (footnote [so to speak]: i play the piano from round-note
music without any trouble, just as i've always done.  the routinized
pathway from visual input to my fingers is now different from the
routinized pathway from visual input to my vocal apparatus.)  i've
been considering taking part in a 9/11 singalong of the mozart requiem
at stanford's memorial church, but the prospect of dealing with 50
minutes of intricate music all in round notes is daunting indeed.
(to make things worse, the way the four parts are distributed among
the singers in shape-note music is significantly different from the
way they're distributed in "ordinary" music, so i no longer even know
what *part* i should be singing.  it's all very disorienting.)

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu), stressing the role of context
  and experience