I Personally Feel That...

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Thu Sep 12 13:06:21 UTC 2002

As an intensive?  *I* *PERSONally* *FEEL*....?  Adds
authenticity/veracity to the personalization of feelings?

OR - to make a distinction between 'personal' feelings and 'official'
feelings?  As in, "I personally feel that we should flay alive anyone
who might even possibly have been indirectly involved in the planning
and execution of this disaster, but my offical feelings are more
compassionate and politically correct." (?)

The subsequent relative clause could give a big clue to the context of
'personally' here.

--

DREW DANIELSON . <andrew.danielson at cmu.edu> . http://pcdrew.ece.cmu.edu/
Admin for Krogh, Gabriel, Fedder & Rajkumar . Carnegie Mellon University

Mm-my hovercraft is full of eels.
                                                   -- John Cleese