SHOUTING: the lost episodes

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Thu Sep 12 16:43:49 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

#i'm amused that you would presume to lecture a long-time participant
#in a tradition you know nothing about on the technical details of that
#tradition.  i was reporting, absolutely accurately, how things work in
#Sacred Harp singing.

        [condescension deleted]

I believe you. I ain't tryin' to teach gramps what I know I don't know
beans about. I didn't apply context correctly to your sentence,

 the shapes have names - fa, sol,
 la, mi, respectively - so that our tradition is sometimes called
 "fasola singing", for the names of the first three notes of the
 major scale.

and so I failed to recognize that you were actually describing a
different assignment of the names with respect to the tonic

-- Mark A. Mandel