Mongolian greetings

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Sep 12 17:53:26 UTC 2002

I wonder if Jesse and other lexicographers might comment on some of the citations in Barry's recent Mongolian post as to whether they qualify as uses of the words in English and therefore potentially as candidates for inclusion in the OED or
other dictionaries. (Forgive my limited understanding of the criteria for inclusion.) I gather that these decisions are not always easy to make, and I thought Barry's post offered a nice sample of challenging cases.

______

 From A GUIDE TO THE ZANABAZAR MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS:

Thanka is a portable icon painting, framed with brocade, easily rolled-up when transported from place to place.
(...)
...the annual Summer's end festival of Tsam in which Lamaist Buddhist rites were performed.  The main aim of Tsam ritual dance
is to show the force and power of deities.

   From THE CULTURAL HERITAGE OF MONGOLIA (Ulaanbaatar, 2001) by Eric Thrift, 92 pages, paperback:

Pg. 5:
..._ger_ (yurt)...
...the four seasons, referred to as _uvuljuu_ (winter pastruage), _khavarjaa_ (spring pasturage), _zuslan_ (summer pasturage),
and _namarjaa_ (autumn pasturage).

Pg. 8:  Images of _gerlugs_, or mobile ger-carts, have been found in more than fifty rock paintings of the Bronze Age.
(I saw them in a museum today.  OED?--ed.)

Pg. 11:  The three mai ntypes of reception for an honoured guest are _tsailaga_, _budaalaga_, and _dailaga_: literally giving
tea, giving rice, and giving dinner.

Pg. 13:
...fried biscuits (_boortsog_).
...boiled or steamed dumplings (_bansh_, _buuz_), chow-mein noodles (_tsuivan_), and fried meat pancakes (_huushuur_).

Pg. 14:
_Boodog_...
_Khorkhog_... (Both already described, but not in OED?--ed.)
   Other staple dairy products are cheese (_hyaslag_), dried curds (_aaruul_), cream (_zuukhit_), butter, and various forms of
butterfat.

Pg. 15:  _Aaruul_, or dried milk curds, are oftne made at the end of summer and stored for use during the winter, when milk is
less abundant.

Pg. 17:  The most symbolically rich game in Mongolian society is the _alag melkhii_, or "multicoloured turtle."
(...) ...and _Khorol_ (a game similar to dominoes, using the twelve animals of the zodiac and Buddhist symbols.

Pg. 31:  The principal "national instruments" associated the Mongolian folk repertoire of today are the _khuuchir_, _yochin_,
_yatga_, _limbe_, _shanz_, and _morin khuur_.

Pg. 35:  A separate stream in Mongolian visual arts is the _thangka_, or Buddhist iconic painting.

Pg. 47:  One of the most ubiquitous ceremonial objects used in Mongolia is the _khadag_, a silk scarf used as a symbol of
respect.

Pg. 52:  The _Soyombo_ is the national symbol of Mongolia, used on the Mongolian flag and on the state seal.
(OED?  Oh, for heaven's sake...--ed.)