The First Smiley?

Drew Danielson andrew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Fri Sep 13 13:25:29 UTC 2002

Even if Barry's antedating pans out, shouldn't it be taken into
consideration whether that was a nonce occurence?

If there were evidence of more than a few occurences in 'off-line'
discourse of smileys composed of a colon & an end-parenthesis, it should
be reasonable to say that Fahlman's proposal was a borrowing rather than
a coinage.

But if the 1953 print ad did not represent an early example of a
convention, if there were significant temporal disconnects between
occurences before 1982, then Fahlman's proposal should be considered a
coinage.

(Or am I being parochial?  CMU folks have been accused of that
before...)

FWIW, ESR's Jargon File cites a "rival claim by one KevinMcKenzie, who
seems to have proposed the smiley on the MsgGroup mailing list, April 12
1979."
http://tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/emoticon.html

--

DREW DANIELSON . <andrew.danielson at cmu.edu> . http://pcdrew.ece.cmu.edu/
Admin for Krogh, Gabriel, Fedder & Rajkumar . Carnegie Mellon University

Mm-my hovercraft is full of eels.
                                                   -- John Cleese