FW: British Dialects Book

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Sep 15 09:41:10 UTC 2002

use IPA without complaint, AND want others to do the same.

Partly in jest,

Frank Abate

****************************

At 05:45 PM 9/14/2002 -0500, Matthew Gordon wrote:

>The second edition of Trudgill's book includes IPA as well as the
>dictionary-type respellings making it useful to linguists as well as
>normal people.
     I did not know linguistics made its practitioners abnormal! I once
heard this kind of distinction from the manager of an apartment building
where I stayed at the LSA Institute at UIUC (1999). He said that linguists
were only on my floor and a second one. All the other floors were occupied
by "normal people." I stared at him wondering what made linguists abnormal.

Sali.