Chat-Speak Invades the Classroom

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Sep 20 01:32:08 UTC 2002

At 3:25 PM -0400 9/19/02, James A. Landau wrote:
>... rather than being sloppy and simply putting it always at the
>same distance from the preceding and.
>
>(Odd. MWCD10 does not list "and" as a noun.)

But it's not--it's ""and"" that's a noun (i.e. a name for a word),
but since so is every other instance of ""X"", it would make for a(n
infinitely) larger and more expensive dictionary...

larry

P.S.  Speaking of chat-speak in the classroom--Jesse, were you
accurately quoted as claiming that
"Language is spread not because not anyone dictates any one thing to
happen"?  I'm still sorting that one out.