Singing Bowl; Shopping Center/Gift Shop; Thangka

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Sep 20 14:28:30 UTC 2002

   Greetings from my second day in Lhasa, Tibet.
   The sinofication here is considerable.  A "Lhasa Department Store" has just opened.  Old buildings are being bulldozed...The tallest building in town is the new police station...We all noticed the green-shirted soldiers going through drills at the airport yesterday, then near the Tibetan medicine college today.
   I apologize for not fully explaining "hada/kata"--in my opinion, both Chinese and Tibetan words should be recorded.   Again, I'm not the OED, which is free to ignore Tibet entirely.  And again, my trip here is not compensated by the OED, or by anybody.

SINGING BOWL--Seen several times outside the Potala.  There are 2,920 hits on Google, including such sites as www.singingbowl.com.  Not in OED.

SHOPPING CENTER/GIFT SHOP--Several years ago in COMMENTS ON ETYMOLOGY, I published an article on perhaps the first "gift shop."  I haven't yet re-checked it with NEW YORK TIMES full text.  In Tibet, however, there are no "gift shops."  My Shangbala Hotel has a "shopping centre."  I've also seen "shoping center."  They're all gift shops!

THANGKA--OED has this under "tanka," but "thangka" is the usual spelling.  I'll beat OED's date of 1925 when I get back to the NYPL.  Merriam-Webster doesn't include this?

LOOKEE LOOKEE--The usual advice given to us outside a "shopping center."

CHINESE/TIBETAN ENGLISH (continued)--The Himalaya Hotel here in Lhasa has a "beauty saloon and barber shop."
   Himalaya Hotel hyphenation horror:  "hair a-nd face washing massage."

TIBET LHASA KITCHEN--I ate here yesterday.  It has Vegetable Momo and Yak Momo.  It also has Yak Burger (add this to my list of "burgers").  Under "Thukpa," it has Yak Thukpa, Vegetable Thukpa, Mixed Thukpa, and Chicken Thukpa.

TUI--I'm working on this dish.  Any hits on the usual databases, perhaps adding "Tibet" and "restaurant"?