Tibetan Eye/DZi Beads; Hyphenation Horrors

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 21 10:36:45 UTC 2002

TIBETAN EYE/DZi BEADS--I passed by a sign for "Tibetan Eye Beads."  Google for "eye bead" and "Dzi bead."  There are quite a few hits, especially for the latter.  You'll have to rely on Google, because...I asked my tour guide to explain the "Tibetan Eye Bead" sign, and she talked about phone cards!  My MIR guide tried to help:  "I think Barry wanted to know about eye beads, not phone cards."  The tour guide continued to talk about phone cards!

PANDA TRASH CANS--In every sacred monastery and palace in Tibet, you'll find cute panda trash cans.  Cute, until you realize that pandas don't come from Tibet...

BEIJING CALIFORNIA YAKMEAT RESTAURANT--The name of a  restaurant we drove by here in Lhasa.  We haven't tried it...Popular T-shirts here have four yaks, with "YAK YAK YAK YAK" under them.

HYPHENATION HORRORS--From just two signs at Norbu Lingka (the People's Palace/Gardens):
D-alai
c-ompleted
palac-e
roo-ms