FW: another use for ALL CAPS

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 25 01:16:41 UTC 2002

Allan M commented:

In the discussion of using CAPITAL LETTERS, there's one other reason I don't
remember anyone mentioning: for official purposes. Some persons in authority
seem to believe that official proclamations are more effective, or indeed
need to be, in all capitals, in order for them to be obeyed. I have here a
page-long all-caps memo on textbook ordering procedure from the manager of
our college bookstore. . . .

<<

I want to add that all caps are also used in some legal documents,
apparently because this is, or is thought to be, required for the language
to have the proper legal effect.  I cannot say that this is the actual
reason (any lawyers out there?), but I know that in some contracts, and in
product warranty terms and such, one often sees certain paragraphs in all
caps.  Someone apparently THINKS that this is necessary or important to do.

Frank Abate