/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Wed Sep 25 17:21:06 UTC 2002

The names of cities (and lots of other thibgs, and wods in general)
are, I'm sorry to say, subject exactly to such things as change and
regionalism in the language in which such words find themselves. Of
course, there are several Chinese pronunciations of "Beijing," but
they are only "guideposts" for what will happen once such a word goes
into another language (or variet of a language). This logic would
have us throw out such well-established pronunciations as [paer at s]
with its US dialect regional variant [pEr at s] (for those of us who
don't give a whack about the /E/~/ae/ distinction before /r/).

On the other hand, if this message means that speakers of English
don't get to say what the pronunciation of "Beijing" is in Chinese
(?), I withdraw all the above.

Otherwise, I don't get it.

dInIs

--