/zh/ replacing /dzh/?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 25 18:34:48 UTC 2002

David Bergdahl said:
>Joshua would be the anglicized form for Jesus
>>
>>>Oops, I didn't finished my messge before I sent it. Should we then start
>>>saying Yesus (that isn't even the Aramaic form, but I am not sure what
>>>that would be) instead of Jesus?
>>Firtz

Not quite. Well, kind of. The Hebrew name was *probably* Yehoshua.
Joshua is the anglicized equivalent of that name. But the name Jesus
comes from via Greek or Latin (or both, serially). Use of /s/ for
Hebrew/Aramaic /sh/ is because Greek only had the one sibilant. I'm
not sure about the second /s/, but I imagine it's a fossilized case
ending. And, isn't there a hymn (at least) in which the name is Jesu?

Alice

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963