Hyperforeignism

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Sep 26 18:11:56 UTC 2002

I don't know if Frenchification is the unmarked approach in all cases. I
remember a news report (probably NPR) about a Russian leader who was at his
'dacha' where in place of the Russian affricate a velar fricative was used - a
pronunciation I took to be Deutchified (in the American Tongues sense). Granted
this is not a word that looks French, but I wonder if there's some popular
perception of German/Russian linguistic similarity.
Can anyone think of other hyperforeignized Russian examples?