Chicago speak/eats (CHICAGO TRIBUNE, 8-23-02)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Sep 28 18:08:49 UTC 2002

Barry Popik excerpted:

>GOATH-ie. What would Goethe, the German poet, novelist and epigram coiner
>("he who does not think too much of himself is much more esteemed than he
>imagines") make of his name enshrined on a Gold Coast street but commonly
>mangled this way instead of given the proper pronunciation of "GAIR-tuh"?
>Perhaps this: "Everything has been thought of before, but the problem is to
>think of it again."

I thought this was cute, the bit about the "proper pronunciation"
being "GAIR-tuh".  Doesn't work too well with a Boston/N.Y./RP
accent, and is out of the question for a deep-dish Chicago (rhotic)
style one.  I know front rounded vowels are a problem, but this isn't
the solution.

larry