Weapon of Mass Destruction

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Sep 29 21:38:18 UTC 2002

I'm looking for origin of the phrase "weapon of mass destruction." It's not
in the OED (except in citations for other terms, earliest 1980).

The earliest citation I've found is from the 1967 Outer Space Treaty:
"Recalling resolution 1884 (XVIII), calling upon States to refrain from
placing in orbit around the earth any objects carrying nuclear weapons or
any other kinds of weapons of mass destruction or from installing such
weapons on celestial bodies, which was adopted unanimously by the United
Nations General Assembly on 17 October 1963."

Presumably the term is used in the cited 1963 UN resolution, but I can't
find a copy--the UN web site doesn't archive that far back and no other web
site appears to have the actual text of the resolution.

Does anyone have any clues where to look further? Or better yet known
antedatings? I'm planning to trudge up the hill to the UC Berkeley library
sometime next week to look up old volumes of "Documents on Disarmament"
(which will have a copy of the '63 resolution and is a likely source for
earlier hits), but it would be nice to have more than one source to look up
when I get there.