Weapon of Mass Destruction (16 Nov. 1945)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 30 01:30:06 UTC 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Dave Wilton wrote:

> So unless antedated, it appears that the term "weapons of mass destruction"
> is the result of the NY Times misquoting the president. Why am I not
> surprised?

Here is the antedating:

1937 _Times_ (London) 28 Dec. 9/3  Who can think without horror of what
another widespread war would mean, waged as it would be with all the new
weapons of mass desruction?

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,