Black Drama database; Tillamook (1908)

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Apr 2 17:45:33 UTC 2003

Coming from only a few counties away ... I'm wondering about the
following. Tillamook Cheese is a brand name rather than a particular
type of cheese. Tillamook is the brand name used by the TCCA. From their
website (www.tillamookcheese.com):

"Back in 1909 the farmers of Tillamook County joined hands, so to speak,
and formed the Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA) to serve as
quality control. Later TCCA expanded to incorporate all 25 operating
cheese factories in Tillamook County, Oregon.

To this day, the cooperative continues to produce top quality milk, dairy
products and a sound future for the farmers of our beautiful Oregon
valley. We are committed to stewardship of the environment and community
involvement."

The cites in the 1907 report refer to barns and cheese factories, located
in Tillamook County, but I don't think they show a usage of "Tillamook
cheese" either as a brand or a type although they document a cheese
making industry in Tillamook County (as a kid I don't remember them
producing anything but cheddar cheese, although now they have jack, colby
and cheese curds, as well as ice-cream and other dairy products).
For anyone visiting the Oregon coast, it's a worthwhile place to stop.

FWIW Tillamook is pronounced TIL at muk, at least by me.

allen
maberry at u.washington.edu