Lower Great Plains implosives

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Thu Apr 3 15:06:42 UTC 2003

Matthew,

I recall that sort of odd pronunciation that Sagan had, but it didn't occur
to me at the time.  I'd like to find a tape of him saying "billions and
billions".  I'd be interested in hearing what you find in Missouri.  So far
I've found nothing beyond what I included in my first post.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Gordon, Matthew J.
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 10:45 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Lower Great Plains implosives

I think Ladefoged was thinking of Carl Sagan - "billions and billions" was a
catch phrase of Sagan impressionists.

I'm very intrigued by Herb's observations. I hadn't noticed implosives in
Missouri, but then I mainly listen to vowels.

I wonder if Alice or someone else could tell us whether there are acoustic
cues for implosives that would be recognizable in a spectrogram.