Soda Straw

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Fri Apr 4 21:43:51 UTC 2003

Funny thing about doing research on  words coming out of the pentagon while
a war's going on - their too busy to talk to you. I've already searched the
archives - therefore I have Mr. Popik's 1922 hit for it. And I am not
interested in the actual soda straw.

What I would like to find is the origin of it's use meaning "narrow" as in
the phrases, "soda straw snapshot", "soda straw effect" (earliest I've
found Dow Jones 1998), and "soda straw view."

Any ideas where I might find that? It came out of the mouth of Gen. Myers -
but like I said, the pentagon ain't answering their phones.

Thanks again

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times