Buttermilk Pie (1940s); Buttercup Squash (1932); Butterhead Lettuce (1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 6 23:00:01 UTC 2003

BUTTERMILK PIE

   DARE doesn't have "buttermilk pie."  It appears to be regional.  I'll check my Tennessee cookbooks.

   9 November 1952, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. X32 ad:
TENNESSEE COOK BOOK
   Packed with recipes for the kind of food that wins honors at county fairs!  Nothing like it!  Wonderful dishes--simple to follow--delicious to eat.  Syllabub, Buttermilk Pie, Clinch Meat Cake, Hush Puppies--over 300 other favorites.  Perfect gift, $1 postpaid.
Pioneer Press
Harriman, Tennessee

(WORLDCAT database)
Title: Buttermilk pie and lace veil : completing the story of our black mammy Author: Dillard, Lillian Madison
Libraries with Item: "Buttermilk pie and lace v..."( Record for Item )Location  Library  Code
AL AUBURN UNIV  AAA
AL SAMFORD UNIV LIBR  ABF
Libraries that Own Item: 2
Title: Buttermilk pie and lace veil :
completing the story of our black mammy /
Author(s): Dillard, Lillian Madison, 1880-
Publication: Nashville, Tenn. : Parthenon Press,
Year: 1940-1949?
Language: English
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: African Americans in literature.
Class Descriptors: LC: PS3507.I455
Responsibility: by Lillian Madison Dillard.
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19891005
Update: 20001211
Accession No: OCLC: 20443961
Database: WorldCat

BUTTERCUP SQUASH

   DARE has 1949 for "buttercup squash."

   5 October 1952, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. X30:
   Newer than Butternut is the Buttercup squash.  THis is round yet flattened and green.  The orange flesh with a nutty flavor is reminiscent of Butternut.

(WORLDCAT database)
Title: Buttercup squash : its origin and use Author: Yeager, A. F
Libraries with Item: "Buttercup squash : / its ..."( Record for Item )Location  Library  Code
IL UNIV OF ILLINOIS  UIU
IL UNIV OF ILLINOIS, AGR ARL RECON  RQF
MA HARVARD UNIV, BOTANY LIBR  BOH
MD NATIONAL AGR LIBR  AGL
ND NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIV LIBR  NWQ
Libraries that Own Item: 5
Title: Buttercup squash :
its origin and use /
Author(s): Yeager, A. F. 1892-  (Albert Franklin),; Latzke, Esther,; 1896-
Publication: [Fargo] : Agricultural Experiment Station, North Dakota Agricultural College,
Year: 1932
Language: English
Series: Bulletin / North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station ;; no. 258; Variation: Bulletin (North Dakota Agricultural Experiment Station (Fargo)) ;; no. 258.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Squashes.
Cookery (Squash)
Note(s): Includes recipes.
Class Descriptors: Dewey: 630.7; NAL: 100
Responsibility: by A.F. Yeager and E. Latzke.
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19881013
Update: 20011028
Accession No: OCLC: 18603741
Database: WorldCat

(JSTOR database)
1.
The Composition of the Aerial Parts of the Summer Squash (Cucurbita Pepo) at Different Stages of Development
C. W. Culpepper
American Journal of Botany, Vol. 24, No. 9. (Nov., 1937), pp. 565-573.

2.
The Present and Potential Service of Chemistry to Plant Breeding
Albert F. Blakeslee
American Journal of Botany, Vol. 26, No. 3. (Mar., 1939), pp. 163-172.

3.
Chemically Induced Parthenocarpy in Certain Horticultural Plants, with Special Reference to the Watermelon
C. Y. Wong
Botanical Gazette, Vol. 103, No. 1. (Sep., 1941), pp. 64-86.

4.
A Comparative Study of Different Methods of Determining Activities of Growth-Promoting Substances
Felix G. Gustafson
American Journal of Botany, Vol. 30, No. 8. (Oct., 1943), pp. 649-654.

BUTTERHEAD LETTUCE

   Not in OED or DARE.

   11 January 1942, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. D10 ad:
_Burpee's Suburban Garden_
(...)
...butterhead Lettuce, loosehead Lettuce,...