"Windy City" in forthcoming ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO HISTORY

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 7 22:40:00 UTC 2003

   Gerald Cohen wrote the "Big Apple" entry for the ENYCLOPEDIA OF NEW YORK
CITY (1995), by the New-York Historical Society.  The late Irving Lewis Allen
wrote the "Gotham" entry.
   The long-delayed ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO HISTORY is a project of both the
Chicago Historical Society and the Newberry Library.  I gave my "Windy City"
papers to the CHS seven years ago, and Gerald Cohen had given a COMMENTS ON
ETYMOLOGY copy to Newberry.  No one contacted me, so I just thought that I'd
contact them.
   It looks like they're going to use my older work, without credit.

 Barry "Neither rain, nor snow--hey, what's up with the snow?" Popik

Subj:   Re: Fwd: "Windy City" in ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO HISTORY
Date:   4/7/2003 4:52:56 PM Eastern Standard Time
From:   <A HREF="mailto:knoxd at newberry.org">knoxd at newberry.org</A>
To: <A HREF="mailto:Bapopik at aol.com">Bapopik at aol.com</A>
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear Mr. Popik,

Thanks for your interest in the Encyclopedia of Chicago History.  We are
essentially done with the preparation of the A-Z entries for the
Encyclopedia.  Our entry entitled "Windy City" was assigned and completed
several years ago, and our editors are satisfied with its contents.

No one here was aware of your work when the entry was assigned, but had
that not been the case, you certainly would have been a likely person to
approach.

I believe your work may be the basis for a reference in our entry to an
early use of the term "Windy City" in 1885. The online discussions that I
find to your research cite an 1885 _Cleveland Gazette_ headline.  I'm
almost reluctant to ask if you have since uncovered anything earlier,
because we are far enough into the end stages of preparation that our
counterparts at the University of Chicago Press will be ready to give us
grief for considering modifications. But if you have earlier citations, we
would of course prefer to include to the best information we can.

Best wishes in all your researches,

Douglas Knox
Managing Editor
Encyclopedia of Chicago History