Luncheon Meat (1895); Garlic Salt (1916); Bridge Rolls (1956)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 8 01:30:32 UTC 2003

   The Word Spy had "turducken" recently.  We mentioned it here several times, and it wasn't just me.  It was in the NEW YORK TIMES last November.  McFedries is the best at what he does, but this is bizarre.

LUNCHEON MEAT

   I had previous cited "luncheon meat" in a 1938 book.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The Ladies' Home Journal (1889-1907), Philadelphia; May 1895; Vol. Vol. XII,, Iss. 0
  Advertisement 48 -- No Title; pg. 36, 1 pgs
CURTICE LUNCHEON MEATS
Chicken, Turkey, Ham, Tongue
CURTICE BROTHERS CO.,
Rochester, N. Y.

GARLIC SALT

   I had posted "celery salt" and might as well do this one.

   24 December 1916, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. SM12:
   Among the products of the drying chamber now are a garlic salt, a grapefruit salt, and an orange salt, each containing 100 per cent of the taste and food value of the original.

BRIDGE ROLLS

   John Ayto's GOURMET GUIDE TO FOOD AND DRINK mentions that "bridge rolls" were all over England.  Perhaps others on the list can comment on that.  "Bridge roll" is not in OED and not in any of my food dictionaries.  The full text TIMES OF LONDON has it late.

   24 December 1956, TIMES OF LONDON, pg. 9, col. C:
   ...Digestives, bridge rolls and Rich Teas...