Summer Crookneck Squash (1839, 1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Apr 8 03:09:24 UTC 2003

   OED has this under "summer crookneck," with its 1890 citation indicating that there's better: "Summer crooknecks appeared in our garden catalogues in 1828."
   The first citation here is "winter crook neck," not "summer crookneck."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES database)
Maine Farmer and Journal of the Useful Arts (1833-1842), Augusta; Oct 19, 1839; Vol. 7, Iss. 40
  Acknowledgements; Anonymous; pg. 313, 1 pgs
("These marrow squashes are goof _inventions_ as Sancho Panza said by sleep.  They grow well and ripen perfectly in our climate and are preferred by most people to the old winter crook neck, which is rather precarious in this latitude."

   NEW - YORK LIVE STOCK MARKET.; Prepared every week, expressly for the NEW-YORK DAILY, SEMI-WEEKLY, and WEEKLY TIMES, by a careful and experienced Reporter. ; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 10, 1857; pg. 3, 1 pgs
("Pumpkins are becoming scarce and high, especially the cheese and crookneck varieties.")